A chemical element with the symbol Zr and atomic number 40, it is a lustrous, grayish-white metal.
Derived from the arabic word 'zargun' meaning 'gold-colored'.
- Zirconium is a reactive metal, it is highly resistant to corrosion and heat and it is used in nuclear reactors and fuel rods.
- Zirconium is a relatively abundant element, it is widely distributed in the Earth's crust and it is often used as a substitute for precious metals in jewelry and other decorative items.
- Zirconium is a versatile element, it has many uses in various fields, from aerospace to biomedical engineering and from electronics to ceramics.
- Zirconium is a remarkable element, it has a high melting point and a low thermal expansion coefficient, making it ideal for high-temperature applications.
- Zirconium is a unique element, it has a unique crystal structure and it has a remarkable ability to absorb and store hydrogen, making it useful for hydrogen storage applications.