- A band of the celestial sphere that includes the apparent paths of the sun, moon, and major planets, and is divided into 12 constellations or signs (Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces).
- An imaginary band in the heavens, divided into 12 equal parts, each named for the constellation in which the sun appears during a particular month of the year.
From latin zodiacus, from greek zōidiakos kyklos "circle of little animals".
- The zodiac is used in astrology to predict people's fortunes.
- The ancient Egyptians believed that the movement of the stars in the zodiac controlled the fate of the pharaohs.
- The zodiac is divided into twelve equal parts, each named for a constellation.
- The zodiac signs are used in horoscopes to predict people's fate.
- The zodiac is also used in navigation to locate the position of a ship.