A person who is responsible for the care and management of animals in a zoo.
Late 19th century; earliest use found in american naturalist. from zoo- + keeper.
- The zookeeper made sure the lions were well-fed and had clean water.
- The zookeeper has been working at the zoo for over 10 years and knows every animal by name.
- Visitors could see the zookeeper giving the monkeys their daily treats.
- The zookeeper was able to teach the elephant to perform tricks using positive reinforcement.
- The zookeeper was proud of the work he had done to create a comfortable habitat for the zoo's animals.