- A device used for counting and calculation, typically consisting of a frame with beads or disks that can be moved along rods or grooves.
- A mental counting or calculation system.
From the latin word "abacus" meaning "board with pebbles for calculating" or "calculating table" , ultimately from the greek word "abax" meaning "board covered with dust". the word was first used in english in the 15th century.
- The abacus is an ancient counting tool that was used in many cultures.
- The abacus is still used in some parts of the world as a primary calculating tool.
- The abacus was used to teach basic arithmetic to children.
- The abacus was an important tool for merchants and traders.
- The abacus helped the man to perform complex calculations quickly.