The action of renouncing or rejecting something; self-denial or self-sacrifice.
From latin abnegationem ("denial, renunciation"), from abnegare ("to deny, renounc.e")
- His abnegation of wealth and fame was admirable.
- The abnegation of her personal needs for the sake of her children was admirable.
- The monk's abnegation of worldly desires was a key aspect of his spiritual practice.
- The abnegation of one's own interests for the sake of others is a virtue.
- The abnegation of one's own desires for the sake of others is a noble act.