To refrain from doing something, especially from an activity or pleasure as an act of self-discipline.
Middle english abstenen, from latin abstinēre, abstinuisse, from abs- + tenēre to hold.
- He decided to abstain from alcohol for the month.
- She abstained from voting on the issue.
- The committee members decided to abstain from making a decision.
- I'm going to abstain from eating chocolate for a while.
- I'm going to abstain from using my phone for an hour.
Some random words: thumbs-up, supplementation, infomercial