- An event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.
- An unfortunate event that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally.
- An event resulting in injury or damage.
- A crash or collision involving a vehicle.
- A mishap or unexpected event.
Late middle english: from old french, or from latin accident- "happening", from the verb accidere, from ad- "to" + cadere "fall".
- The accident was caused by driver error.
- He had an accident on his way to work.
- She was in a serious accident and had to be hospitalized.
- The accident caused a traffic jam on the highway.
- The company had an accident at the plant.