- Relating to the adrenal gland.
- Excited or activated by the release of adrenaline.
Early 19th century: from latin adrenalis, from greek adrenalē, denoting the glands near the kidney.
- Adrenal glands produce hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol.
- The adrenal response to stress and danger triggers a fight or flight reaction.
- The adrenal rush of skydiving is addictive to some thrill seekers.
- Adrenal fatigue can occur when the glands are overworked and unable to produce hormones.
- The adrenal response to the sudden noise was a sharp increase in heart rate and breathing.