- A state of pain, distress, or suffering.
- A disease or disorder.
- A cause of persistent suffering or distress.
Middle english afflictioun, from old french afliction, from latin afflictiō, from afflictus, past participle of affligere ("to cast down, strike down"), from ad- ("to") + fligere ("to strike").
- Cancer is a terrible affliction that affects millions of people every year.
- Poverty is an affliction that affects countless individuals across the world.
- The loss of a loved one is an affliction that is difficult to bear.
- Mental illness is a common affliction that can be debilitating.
- Chronic pain is a debilitating affliction that can limit one's quality of life.