- A type of chalcedony, a mineral that is a variety of quartz and is characterized by its multicolored bands or patterns.
- A type of decorative stone that is used in jewelry, ornaments, and other decorative items.
From the greek word "áchates" which is the name of a river in sicily where agates were found.
- This agate is one of the most beautiful examples of the mineral I've ever seen.
- The pendant was made of agate and it was very valuable.
- The agate on the ring was of a deep red color with white bands.
- The agate paperweight on his desk was a gift from his wife.
- The agate beads on the necklace were smooth and had a nice weight to them.