An area of land used for aircraft to take off and land.
Late 19th century: from air + field.
- The airfield was used for military purposes during the war.
- The airfield had a long runway for large commercial jets to take off and land.
- The airfield was built in the middle of a desert, far from any major cities.
- The airfield was surrounded by a fence to keep out intruders.
- The airfield was a hub of activity with planes coming and going at all hours.
Some random words: unshaven, unemotional, spinsterhood