A synthetic resin used as a paint binder, made by reacting polybasic acids (such as phthalic acid) with polyalcohols (such as glycols). Alkyds are known for their good adhesion and flexibility, and are commonly used in industrial and architectural coatings.
Early 20th century: from alk(ali) + -y- + -ide.
- The painter used alkyd paint on the metal surfaces.
- The alkyd-based paint has good flexibility and adhesion.
- The artist used alkyd medium in oil painting.
- Alkyd resins are used to make a variety of coatings.
- The furniture was painted with alkyd paint for extra durability.