- Either of a pair or series of genes that occupy a specific position on a chromosome and control the same trait, but may have different forms.
- A variant form of a gene that is located at a specific position on a specific chromosome and that governs a particular characteristic.
Early 20th century: from german allel, from alle "all" + -el, on the pattern of pair.
- The blue eye allele is dominant over the brown eye allele.
- The allele for sickle-cell anemia is inherited from one's parents.
- The allele for tallness is dominant over the allele for shortness.
- Scientists have identified a new allele associated with a higher risk of developing a certain type of cancer.
- Each individual has two alleles for a particular gene, one inherited from each parent.
Some random words: armlet, churchgoer, radium