A small tropical evergreen tree or shrub, Pimenta dioica, that is native to the West Indies and Central America and has aromatic berries which are used as a spice.
So called because it is said to resemble a combination of flavors including cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Allspice is a key ingredient in Jamaican jerk seasoning.
- The pumpkin pie recipe calls for a teaspoon of allspice.
- Allspice is also known as pimento, is a key ingredient in Caribbean cuisine.
- The allspice berries are dried before being ground to make the spice.
- Allspice is often used in pickling and marinades.