The quality or condition of being an amateur; participation in a pursuit, especially in sports, on an unpaid basis.
French, from amateur lover of, from latin amātor.
- Amateurism is often seen as a positive attribute in sports, as athletes are motivated by love of the game.
- The amateurism rules of the organization prevent professional athletes from competing.
- Many amateur athletes compete in amateur sports leagues for the love of the game, rather than for money.
- The distinction between amateur and professional athletes is becoming increasingly blurred.
- The debate over amateurism in college sports has been ongoing for many years, with many advocating for better compensation for student-athletes.