- A diplomatic official of the highest rank appointed by a country to represent it in another country or at an international organization.
- A person who acts as a representative or promoter of a particular cause or organization.
Late middle english (in the sense "representative or messenger"): from old french, from latin ambactus "servant", from ambactus, ambacti "retainer". the current sense dates from the early 17th century.
- The ambassador presented his credentials to the President.
- The ambassador was known for his negotiating skills.
- She became an ambassador for a environmental organization.
- The ambassador's residence was a large mansion.
- The ambassador was greeted by a military honor guard.