- The absence of any form of political authority or government.
- A state of society characterized by the absence of any form of political authority or government.
- A state of disorder due to the absence or non-recognition of authority or other controlling systems.
From french anarchie, from greek anarkhia "lack of a leader", from an- "without" + arkhos "leader".
- The country had descended into anarchy after the government collapsed.
- The city was plagued by anarchy, as different gangs fought for control.
- The students were calling for anarchy in the classroom, demanding more freedom.
- Anarchy is often seen as a precursor to revolution.
- The society had to rebuild after years of anarchy.