- A short and amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.
- A short account of a particular incident or event of an interesting or amusing nature.
Mid 17th century: from greek anekdota "things unpublished", from an- "not" + ekdotos "published", from ekdidonai "give out".
- He told an amusing anecdote about his childhood.
- She shared an anecdote about her travels.
- The speaker began his talk with an interesting anecdote.
- The book is filled with anecdotes about famous people.
- He always had a good anecdote to tell at parties.