To heat (a material, especially metal) and then cool it slowly, typically in order to reduce brittleness and improve its ductility or toughness.
Middle english enailen, from old english anæglian, from an- + æglian to burn.
- The metal was annealed in order to make it easier to shape and bend.
- Annealing the glass makes it more resistant to thermal shock.
- The process of annealing involves heating the metal to a high temperature and then allowing it to cool slowly.
- Annealing is an important step in the manufacture of many metal products, including wire and sheet metal.
- The annealing process can significantly improve the strength and durability of metal products, making them better suited for various applications.