- A thing or event preceding and in preparation for something else.
- A noun, pronoun, or clause referred to by a pronoun in a sentence.
Late middle english (denoting an ancestor): from latin antecedent- "going before", from antecedere "go before".
- The stock market crash was the antecedent to the Great Depression of the 1930s.
- The antecedent of the pronoun 'it' in the sentence 'It is raining' is the noun 'rain'.
- In linguistics, the antecedent of a pronoun is often referred to as the word or phrase to which the pronoun refers.
- The antecedent of the pronoun 'she' in the sentence 'She is my sister' is the noun 'sister'.
- The antecedent of the pronoun 'he' in the sentence 'He was a great leader' is the noun 'leader'.