Opposed to the influence and power of the clergy, especially in political matters.
Mid 19th century, from anti- (against) + clerical (related to the clergy).
- Anticlerical sentiments have been growing among the population.
- The anticlerical laws were aimed at reducing the power of the Catholic Church.
- The anticlerical party wants to separate Church and State.
- Anticlerical movements have been present throughout history.
- The anticlerical policies of the government led to the closure of many religious institutions.
Some random words: administration, formulaic, raving