- A small cloth or piece of lace placed over the back or arms of a chair or sofa to protect the furniture from dirt or stains.
- A decorative cover or protector used to protect furniture from spills or stains.
Derived from the name of a brand of hair oil called macassar oil.
- Grandma had antimacassars on all the chairs in the living room to protect the upholstery from wear and tear.
- The antimacassar on the arm of the chair was crocheted in a delicate pattern and added a touch of elegance to the room.
- The antique store had a collection of vintage antimacassars, each one unique in design and material.
- The use of antimacassars was once common in households, but has become less so in recent years.
- The hostess offered guests antimacassars for their clothes, to protect the sofas from any spills or stains during the party.