A word of opposite meaning to another word.
Late 17th century: from greek ant- 'opposite' + onuma 'name'.
- The antonym of 'hot' is 'cold'.
- Antonyms are a useful tool for building vocabulary and testing word knowledge.
- Some common antonyms include 'big' and 'small', 'up' and 'down', and 'fast' and 'slow'.
- It can sometimes be difficult to find the perfect antonym for a word, as many words have multiple possible antonyms.
- The use of antonyms can be helpful in understanding the meaning of new or unfamiliar words, as the meaning of a word can often be inferred from its antonym.