- Divide and distribute (something) among a number of recipients.
- Assign (a share or portion) to someone.
Late 16th century: from latin apportionare, from ad- "to" + portionare "divide into portions".
- The committee apportioned the funds among the different departments.
- The votes were apportioned according to the population of each state.
- The inheritance was apportioned among the children.
- The company apportioned the profits among the shareholders.
- The government apportioned the responsibility for the crisis among several agencies.
Some random words: excellent, ahem, predominate