- Showing shrewd or careful judgement.
- Avoiding risk; prudent.
- Having or showing a good sense of what is likely to happen in the future.
Early 16th century: from scottish and northern english canny "gentle, kind", of unknown origin.
- She was a canny investor and had made a lot of money.
- He was canny enough to know that he needed to be patient.
- He was canny enough to know that he needed to wait for the right opportunity.
- The canny businessman saw the potential in the new technology.
- She was a canny politician who always knew how to get what she wanted.