- A small desk or workstation, typically with high sides, used for studying or research in a library or other quiet area.
- A small private room or cubicle.
The word "carrel" comes from the old french word "caruel" which means "little chamber" or "little room".
- The student sat at his carrel studying for his final exam.
- The carrels were equipped with power outlets and internet access for the library patrons.
- The researcher used the carrel to work on her dissertation.
- The carrels were located in a quiet section of the library.
- The carrels were designated as quiet study areas.