A person who leads and motivates a group, usually with enthusiastic and energetic shouting, cheering and gestures to encourage a team or an individual in a competition.
The word 'cheerleader' originated in the late 19th century, formed by combining the words 'cheer' and 'leader'.
- The cheerleaders at the football game tried to get the crowd excited.
- She became a cheerleader because she loved to dance and perform.
- The cheerleader's enthusiastic and energetic performances often inspired the players on the field.
- The cheerleaders' cheers echoed throughout the stadium.
- She was known as the best cheerleader in the school.