The complex of DNA and proteins that make up chromosomes, which carry genetic information in cells.
From greek khroma "color" + -in.
- The chromatin in the nucleus of a cell contains genetic information in the form of DNA.
- Scientists are studying how chromatin structure is related to gene expression.
- The chromatin in the egg cell determines the traits of the offspring.
- Some drugs target chromatin to prevent cancer cells from dividing.
- Chromatin remodeling is a process that changes the structure of chromatin to affect gene expression.