A symbol (^) used in writing and printing to indicate a variety of different pronunciations, stress, or length in some languages.
Late 16th century. from latin circumflexus, past participle of circumflēre, meaning 'to bend around', from circum 'around' + flēre 'to bend'.
- In French, the circumflex is used to indicate a missing letter.
- The circumflex is used in English to indicate a stressed syllable.
- The circumflex can also indicate a long vowel sound.
- The circumflex is not used in all languages and has different meanings in different languages.
- The circumflex is an important tool for language students to understand pronunciation.