A geographical and administrative area in the United Kingdom and Ireland, or in the United States and Canada, typically larger than a town or city and smaller than a state, governed by a county council or county board.
Old english cūnty, cūntege, from cūn "known" + -ty, -tege "place".
- I was born and raised in the county before moving to the city.
- The county fair is the biggest event of the year, drawing people from all over the region.
- The county's population has grown rapidly in recent years due to a influx of new residents.
- The county government is responsible for maintaining the roads and providing social services to residents.
- I am thinking of buying a house in the country side, far from the city, in the county.