- An action or omission that constitutes an offense and is punishable by law.
- A serious breach of moral or social conduct.
Middle english: from old french, from latin crimen, criminis "accusation, crime," from cernere "decide, judge".
- The police are investigating a serious crime that occurred in the city center.
- The crime rate in the area has been decreasing steadily in recent years.
- Burglary is a common crime in the city.
- The company was found guilty of committing a white-collar crime.
- The government has introduced new measures to combat organized crime.