The act of severing ties or association with a particular group, organization, or political party.
From the latin word 'dis-' meaning 'not' and 'affiliare' meaning 'to associate'.
- The disaffiliation of the church from the larger denomination caused controversy and division.
- His disaffiliation from the political party was a result of a disagreement over policies.
- The disaffiliation of the workers from the union was seen as a defeat for organized labor.
- The disaffiliation of the college from the university system had major implications for funding and accreditation.
- The disaffiliation of the company from the trade association was seen as a business opportunity.