- To show or prove to be right or reasonable; to provide a good or sufficient reason for something.
- To adjust the spaces between words in a line of text so that both the right and left edges are even.
From latin justificare, from justus "just" + -ficare "to make".
- He was able to justify his actions to the committee.
- The company"s decision to lay off employees was difficult, but they were able to justify it with the company"s financial struggles.
- The teacher tried to justify the low grades by saying the class was very difficult.
- She couldn't justify spending so much money on a dress.
- The text on the page looked uneven, so he used the justify button to align it.