- The sound made by a bell when it is rung slowly and mournfully, often associated with death or funerals.
- A symbol or sound that signifies the end of something or the arrival of a significant event, especially a sad or unfortunate one.
The word 'knell' comes from the middle english word knellen, which means 'to ring a bell,' especially in a slow, mournful way. it is thought to have originated in the 15th century.
- The knell of the church bell marked the end of the funeral ceremony.
- The knell of the sinking ship's bell was a chilling sound, signaling the imminent doom of the crew.
- The knell of the grandfather clock announced the arrival of midnight, signaling the end of the old year and the start of a new one.
- The knell of the school bell signaled the end of the school day and the start of summer vacation.
- The knell of the alarm clock signaled the start of another day, reminding the tired man to get up and face the challenges ahead.