- A preparation of finely shredded cabbage that has been fermented by various lactic acid bacteria, used as a food.
- A derogatory term for a person of German descent or origin, especially one living in the U.S.
Short for sauerkraut, from german sauer sour + kraut plant, from middle high german krōt, from old high german.
- I love to put kraut on my hotdog.
- Sauerkraut is a traditional dish in German cuisine.
- I'm not sure if I want to try the kraut, it smells pretty strong.
- Some people are offended by the term "kraut" because of its derogatory connotations.
- During WWII, American soldiers referred to Germans as "krauts".