- The death of cells or tissues in a localized area of the body, usually as a result of disease, injury, or infection.
- The process of decay or decomposition of dead tissue.
Derived from the greek word 'nekros' meaning 'dead body' or 'corpse'.
- The necrosis of the tissue in the affected area was causing pain and swelling.
- The necrosis of the cells in the organ was causing it to lose function.
- The necrosis of the bone was caused by a lack of blood flow to the area.
- The necrosis of the skin was a serious complication of the burn injury.
- The necrosis of the muscle was causing it to shrink and become non-functional.