A tournament match played to determine which team or player will compete in the semifinals.
Mid 19th century: from quarter + final, on the pattern of semifinal.
- The quarterfinal match between the two rival teams was highly anticipated by fans.
- The quarterfinal round was filled with surprises as lower ranked teams managed to defeat their higher ranked opponents.
- The quarterfinal stage of the tournament was intense, as the pressure to win was higher than ever before.
- The quarterfinal was broadcast live on national television, attracting millions of viewers.
- The quarterfinal was held at the home stadium of the top-seeded team, who were expected to advance to the next round.