- A set of letters or symbols in a fixed order used to represent the basic set of speech sounds of a language, especially the set of letters from A to Z.
- The writing system of a language using such a set of symbols.
Late middle english: from old french alphabete, via latin from greek alphabētos, from alpha (the first letter of the greek alphabet) + bētos "second" (the second letter being beta).
- He taught her the alphabet.
- The Greek alphabet has 24 letters.
- The Arabic alphabet has 28 letters.
- The Hebrew alphabet has 22 letters.
- The Cyrillic alphabet is used in many Slavic languages.
Some random words: pillbox, constipate, swallow