A person who regularly attends church services or who is a member of a church.
From the middle english word "churchgangere", from the old english "ciricegang", from "cirice" (church) + "gang" (goer). first recorded in the 15th century.
- Mary is a devoted churchgoer and never misses a Sunday service.
- The small village had a high percentage of churchgoers among its population.
- As a churchgoer, John felt compelled to volunteer at the local soup kitchen.
- The churchgoers sat in silence as the minister delivered his sermon.
- The new priest made a point to greet each and every churchgoer personally.