- A woman who lives with a man and has a sexual relationship with him but is not his wife, typically in a long-term relationship.
- A secondary wife or mistress.
From the latin concubina, meaning a woman who lives with a man without being married to him, from con- (together) + cubare (to lie).
- In ancient China, wealthy men often had multiple concubines.
- The king had many concubines but only one queen.
- She was the king's favorite concubine.
- The emperor's concubines lived in separate quarters in the palace.
- The wealthy man had a number of concubines but no legal wife.