- Clever or skillful in achieving one's goals, often by deceptive or underhanded means.
- Shrewd, astute, or artful in one's dealings with others.
- Having or showing an ability to think and plan ahead.
Old english cunnan, from cunnan "know, be able", of germanic origin.
- The fox was known for its cunning and ability to outsmart its predators.
- He was admired for his cunning business strategies.
- It was a cunning plan that outsmarted the competition.
- She was admired for her cunning ability to get what she wants.
- The criminal's cunning mind enabled him to evade the police for years.